Monday, June 12, 2006

Corfu to Paxos

As we drove down to the town where our sailboat was waiting, the rain clouds rolled in. We loaded our luggage onto the boat, which seemed pretty nice, but looked small for fifteen days with five people. Since the weather was pretty crummy, the adults decided we should just stay in port there, which was a bummer because I really felt like getting out to see more. Luckily, we did end up sailing out to a small town on the main land, called Mourtos. We got there at night, and the full moon guided us into port. The town was pretty cool, lots of English tourists, but the restaurant we went too was off the main strip, and most of the people eating were Greek (it was also around midnight when we got there.. the Greeks eat late). So far, all the food we've eaten had been great. Lots of basic, natural flavors without much spice, but if you can appreciate that, then its really wonderful. However, there's always lots of lemon and olive oil available if you want more flavor (which I usually do).

The next day the sun was shining bright and we had a great sail over to Paxos, a lush and very beautiful, small island south of Corfu. We had planned on pulling into a small bay to stop for lunch and then moving on afterwards, but when we saw the bay, we decided to stay all day and the rest of the night. The color of the water is bright, Caribbean blue-green. The town, Lakka, is full of brightly painted houses and great tavernas. The weather sucked today, lots of rain, but we still got to hike around the hills surrounding the bay, which was really great. Lots of amazing views (and good pictures). Since the weather is bad, we're staying again tonight, and we'll head down to Gaios tomorrow. I don't know where there will be another computer again, but I'll try to update when I can.

Even though I'm surrounded by paradise, I can't help thinking about what's going on at home. I miss everybody and I can't wait to see you all.. only like another month?? Somebody give me an update! One of these days we all need to rent a villa in the Islands here for like a week.

Until next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Max, thanks for the updates when you get the chance. Miss you lots. Was thinking yesterday that just last year I was up here for your high school graduation. Now I'm up here for Jake's 8th grade graduation! As you probably remember there are loads of grad parties and dances (just like you had). Weather has been ok for most part but still too cool for June.
Continue to enjoy your trip and summer of a lifetime (prob even better than last year!)...

Oren is coming out Sunday and will stay until your Mom and Dad get home. I'll leave Wed or Thurs (after graduation)to get back home for my next round of company...hope you get back down before school starts again.
Lots of love, Nana & Jake