I never got a chance to write about my last few days in Israel because it was a hectic and incredible rush of an experience, and I really didn't think about the blog. I stayed with the Shiryons until Etan was ready to move into his apartment in Tel Aviv, and I got to experience my first true Shabbat with the whole family. I have NEVER eaten so much food in my entire life, and spending the evening and morning without television or other electronic stimuli was very relaxing. Etan and I rented a car and drove to visit the rest of the family in Kiryat Gat, in the south near the Negev and Gaza. We ate another enormous meal, and had a really great afternoon with the family. Since everyone was speaking Hebrew the whole time, it was definitely a test of my comprehension skills, but as it turns out, I can understand the gist of their conversations pretty well.
Eventually, Etan and I started working on his apartment in Tel Aviv, right off Sheinkin Street and very close to The Carmel Market. We mopped the floors, swept the carpets, cleaned the windows, and scrubbed the bathroom. It's a pretty sweet apartment, but the former tenants didn't take great care of it. We did a few roves through the local streets and picked up some furniture (shelves, cabinets, etc..) that other people were throwing out. We made it look pretty livable just with the trash we collected from the street.
While Etan worked, I got to do a lot of exploring around Tel Aviv, which was really great.
Basically, after a month there, I have a completely new view of Israel. It seems like a 1st and a half world country. Based on Jewish socialist ideals from the European immigrants, but with new capitalist influences, the country seems to still be figuring out how to organize its businesses. They haven't completely figured out capitalism as a nation, but the few individuals who have seem to be quite successful, and the entrepreneurial mindset is growing. The people are incredibly cynical and sarcastic, but have a need and feel for family bonds that far surpasses the average American. They seem to live very tense and frustrating lives, which you notice immediately when you are on the road with or around Israeli drivers, but their compassion and kindness, again, would put the average New Jerseyan to shame. Israelis take every opportunity to enjoy life, as they know far too well how short it can be.
Israel is a land of complete polarity. The country displays strong contrast in every area of life. The landscape varies between a lush, fertile northern half, to a dry, arid southern desert. There is extreme religious fanaticism and a surprisingly secular majority. Ancient, biblical buildings and culture in some parts, while at the same time, a completely modern, cosmopolitan society in others, often thriving together in the same places, and Fear, cynicism, and uncertainty, while at the same time, compassion, love, and an energizing vigor for life.
I've made some great friends and had some wonderful experiences that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Israel has become a part of me.
I love this place. I'm definitely coming back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment